there are exactly two things that get me out of bed in the morning. in no particular order:
- my dog. in the words-ish of a song that’s not-technically-from-hamilton-but-close-enough, i love my doggie more than anything in this liiiiiiife. every sacrifice i make is for my doggie give him the best life. not to say it’s a sacrifice having to drag myself outta bed to take the little guy out. it’s not like that. the joy i get from the joy he gets when he hears those words: “wanna go out, boy?”, well, that would be enough. but yeah sometimes it’s raining and thundering and there’s a foot of snow and a swarm of locusts and my bed…is so…warm…
but my little doggie’s gotta pee. so i endure
- coffee. specifically…ok…i like coffee in general. a cup of the good stuff with a splash of cream is truthfully all i need. a few years ago, though, upon finding out that thin mint coffee creamer, like, exists, well… not only does that stuff get me, as i will tell anyone who will listen, out of bed every morning, i get excited to go to bed so i can wake up and have that cup 0f minty chocolatey coffee-y goodness. i’ve never even really been a huge thin mint person. i don’t know what it is. or why i’m talking about this specific cup of coffee in the lead up to a recipe for a completely different cup of coffee. maybe i just wanted one more person to say words to about this crazy discovery that literally only i know about that you can buy in literally any grocery store in america probably.
what does any of this have to do with anything? i’m not sure either. except that i thought to myself one day, “self, it’s possible you need another thing to live for.” and apparently that other thing i came up with was, um, a second cup of coffee? still, a third reason for getting outta bed, you could say. no, in truth i found myself trying to imagine my dream cup of coffee, one that maybe involved a little bit more than pouring Coffee Mate into a mug. (but not too much more. thank you, Monin). this is what resulted. you can barely call this a recipe but i’ve spent the last month sick in bed so forgive me, if you will.
while i recover and begin the process of coming up with something real, i hope you will get out of bed in the morning at least long enough to put together this cup of creamy salty flowery-ness, (if only to get back into bed to drink it). the whipped cream can be done the night before, of course, so it’s really not much more difficult than pouring Coffee Mate into a mug. i hope you enjoy.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp + ½ tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp (or to taste) lavender syrup*
- fresh-brewed black coffee
- to make the whipped cream, beat the cream and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high until the cream holds a soft peak. very gently whisk in the salt. cover and refrigerate until needed.
- to assemble your cup of coffee, stir the syrup into a mug of hot black coffee. top with a (very) generous dollop of whipped cream
*i like Monin